Transform the way you think about trans please, Trump

In case it wasn't clear from that cringe-worthy world play and alliteration, I would like to do a trans appreciation post. 

Growing up, I had more gay male friends than straight ones, and so when I was introduced to the world of transgender, non-binary etc. it was no shock. So, the fact that transgender people have been banned from serving their country in America baffles me, and I wanted to write a bit on the transgender people that have done amazing things by having the freedom to pursue their careers.

Laverne Cox

Need I say more? This woman proves that beauty is what you make it, not what you're given. Her performance in OITNB normalises trans culture whilst demonstrating the anxieties that come with it as well. Hoorah for Laverne, who makes herself up better than I ever will. 

Dr Marci Bowers

Marci Bowers is the first trans doctor in the U.S., and she in fact went through surgery whilst treating people with the same conditions of transgender and gender dysphoria. She has been hugely active in fighting for the rights of trans people, and without her many trans people would not have received the sensitive and revolutionary treatment now available to them in the States.





Chaz Bono

Trans men are a lot less common than women. I tried to find statistics to prove this, but the personal nature of being trans and the number of people who cannot come out due to culture/ social norms means that there is no definitive study. However, we hear about a lot more trans women than men, so when I came across Chaz Bono I was amazed. Chaz Bono is the child of Cher and Bono (now the name makes sense), and he has been author to, star of, and directed films and books concerning his change from female at birth, to his true gender of male. An inspiration, in my eyes. But what strikes me most about Bono is how masculine he looks, and it makes me question, if Trump didn't know he was trans, would he be allowed in the military?


Isis King

I've included Isis King because she is the first trans person I remember coming across (back in the day when I was a committed fangirl to America's Next Top Model). Isis King made it to the quarter finals of ANTM, and showed the nation, like Laverne, that beauty is what you convey and what you form as you grow. Seeing how kindly all the other competitors treated her and supported her inspired me to always do the same in the face of new things you don't necessarily understand. And frankly, she's fucking gorgeous and has smashed a career in beauty, without being born into the gender she has made beautiful.



Comments

Popular Posts