Song's over Baby, but you still got to face the music.

Baby Driver Review (Dir. Edgar Wright)

Baby Driver is a breath of fresh air to cinema right now, and by far my favourite release of the year so far.

I went into the cinema having not even seen the trailer, just knowing that Kevin Spacey was in it I wanted as little information as possible, because everything he's involved in always has a pleasant twist along the way. And I was not disappointed.



Baby Driver follows a getaway driver, named Baby (Ansel Elgort, known for playing Gus in TFIOS), who is coerced into the criminal business through a long standing debt with Kevin Spacey's character, Doc. The opening scene sets the precedent for the whole film, that it's style revolves around music. Not only is the soundtrack insane, but the way that the music is incorporated into camera work is very clever. Baby, for reasons I will not reveal, lives his life drowning the sound of the world out with music, and the audience experience a similar thing- at no point (I'm pretty sure) is the film every silent. Whether it's the ringing of ears after the music or Brighton Rock being blasted out, you are constantly immersed in Baby's experience. It's an immersive film, which made it all the more enthralling.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the car chase scenes, as I do not drive and hate the idea of driving fast. But the composition of these scenes- upbeat accompaniment combined with Elgort's cool and collected attitude- makes them a pleasure to watch. I'm sure they're completely far fetched, but as a completely oblivious observer I was utterly convinced.

Lily James's sickly sweet character Debra gives the film romantic respite, and although she irritated me at times she redeems herself by the end. There are also stunning supporting performances from Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx and Eliza Gonzalez, that support the dark humour of Kevin Spacey. But what really blew me away, as always, was Spacey himself. Having had my eyes glued to House of Cards for the past month, I didn't once associate him with Frank Underwood. Spacey makes the character his own, using his terrifying facade without making it seem like a stock character for him. And his plot twist, well it's probably not a full on plot twist in many people's opinion. But it's subtle and a complete U turn. In other words, it's fantastic, so get your arse to the cinema now.



Comments

Popular Posts