Sunday Afternoon Veteran - Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Every Sunday I discuss a book or film I consider to be an artistic veteran.


Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of the films I distinctly remember deciding I didn't want to watch as a young'un. Not entirely sure why, as I went through  a phase of recording every horror film that came up on late night tv, but the idea of Texas Chain terrified me. For this reason I am definitely biased in thinking its aged well; the sound of a chainsaw makes shivers run down my spine, I wouldn't call it a fear but its definitely an associative aversion. Anyway, it took me a long time to watch this despite it being coined one of the best horrors of all time. I think, other than maybe Nightmare On Elm Street, its also one of the most remade and serialised films in history (there's definitely at least two remakes and 4 sequels). This suggests that it needs remaking, but this fact also means its a story scary enough to endure several reworkings. 

The middle of the bible belt in America is a bog standard, horrific setting. However the way its done in the 1974 original is unique. The colour palette makes it really barren, and the lack of music, though initially awkward, builds tension as the film progresses. What sometimes feels like old fashioned, sloppy film making personally draws me in. Especially the creepy slow zooms on the victims faces, as you have no idea whats bewildering / terrifying them at points. Sound is obviously key to how this film builds tension. Whether it be the lack of it, or the piercing whirring of the chainsaw. Although the cinematography is often shaky and unclear, that noise reminds you that he's coming. And for me, that supersedes any lack of special effects. Its then amplified by leather face's clumsy work with the chainsaw. Gunnar Hansen, who plays leatherface, contorts his body in a way that feels like the chainsaw could fall on your head at any point. The picture above is an iconic image that demonstrates this. A simple piece of characterisation that really stays with you. The simple use of that prop has proved the scare factor of this film timeless, to me at least. Its an important image to the film that props it up over the centuries (it's 43 years old can you believe)

Finally, with no spoilers, although its a cliche scene I did not see the end coming. And was honestly pretty disturbed by the dinner time set up. That's all I'm saying, it haunted me, and I reckon it will you.

Sunday rant about how much I love old horror films over. Talking about this film has left me about as happy as her (see elated / terrified girl below). 



Comments

Popular Posts