Lady Gaga and Five Foot Two

NB. I love Lady Gaga and everything she does, so this is a very biased review.


Cinematic insights into musicians lives, or the development of a certain album or phase in their career, are the new craze. I LOVE the structure of montage of heck and Amy, so when a similar, albeit not post-mortem, film was announced concerning one of my idols I was over the moon. The past year has been a pivotal point in Lady Gaga's career, one where she went from being the melodramatic, meat wearing sensation to the genuinely incredible artist she actually is. Although she has openly never regretted the decisions she made in the latter part of her career, I am ecstatic that she has returned with an image that demands respect from everyone, whether a little monster or not. In the film I love the focus on her family, which is the theme of her new album Joanne. I'm really glad that the reasoning behind the song Joanne was kept relatively under wraps until this film came out, because to hear it explained in her own words is so much more cathartic than reading endless theories and reviews online. I can't believe she allowed the cameras and microphones into such intimate parts of her life, and some people might disagree with how far it went. Youtubers are often criticised for oversharing online, and I do think this is a poignant problem for the rise in teenage anxiety and depression. However, to see an inspirational, platinum selling artist breaking down over a breakup, and the fear of not having her own family one day, is something I think many people need to see. At one point she isn't filmed, but her voice is recorded as she cries to her Dad and I just took a step back and remembered this woman I put on a pedestal is no different to me and my friends. 

The film deals with some sensitive issues surrounding her health as well, which some people may sneer at. As a fan I obviously believe she is in real pain, and I never got tickets to her tour so I'm not still in the raw stage of anger after her delayed European dates. But for someone who clearly loves her job as much as she does, its hard to believe that she'd let anything get in the way of performing. People need to remember this film was cut weeks before she had to cancel her tour dates, so its not an excuse, just a convenient coincidence.

Now this has not been a review, but me reinforcing all the great things the film says. It was well shot, and the soundtrack is sick as well (not just when Lady Gaga is singing). She's a queen, I think you'll like the film even if you don't like her. SO go watch it. Lady Gaga appreciation post, out.  

Comments

Popular Posts