'The Band's Visit' NYC Broadway Trip



The Band’s Visit open’s with a pretty bland statement; ‘not that long ago an Egyptian band went to Israel… you probably didn’t hear about it’. The irony of sitting in the theatre, reading that quote, and knowing that this show won the Tony Award for Best Musical, was a wonderful feeling, as you immediately knew this was going to be something quiet, yet special.

                The Band’s Visit is not your conventional musical; based on a film from about a decade ago it has no big dance numbers and no flashy chorus lines. It simply tells the story of an Egyptian classical band who get lost in Israel and end up at a town that sees itself as truly insignificant, and over the course of the evening each character discovers how mundanity only endures if you let it.

                The problem with the arts, especially musical theatre, is that it is sometimes so grand that it excludes anyone with a shred of insecurity. The cliché is that children will go to the theatre and dream to be a part of it, but that remains merely a dream because half those kids can’t ever imagine being a part of something that ambitious and expensive. The Band’s Visit strips itself of all such clichés from the opening, ironic, quote and presents you with a story that is relatable whether you are from a small town in Israel or not. The opening number, for me, had resonances with the small town that I grew up in outside Oxford, and I’m sure the majority American audience could see it within their own hometowns too. Moreover, this immediately and sneakily forces you to see similarities between yourself and a culture that is often demonized by our media, and so the musical bridges a cultural gap within minutes of beginning.

                The irony continues as Tony Award winner for Best Actress Katrina Lenk sings about being swept away by the magic of movies she could only dream to be in, and her voice gave me shivers like those that I have never experienced before. Her movements were unconventional and often strange, but she commanded the theatre so that you could not look at anyone else when she was present on stage.
                I often feel lost with ensemble cast musicals, but The Band’s Visit gave a subtle exploration of each character so that I felt I was fully a part of the town by the time the show finished. It’s one act form ensures that you are fully immersed, and although by the end not much has changed outwardly, you know that the characters have gone on a journey that is irrevocable. The closest thing there is to a big flashy number is the final song, with its long crescendo notes I felt tears come to my eyes as I knew this experience was coming to a close.

                The sad fact is that I don’t think The Band’s Visit will amaze all of its audience, and I doubt it will ever make it to UK stage with as much success as New York. But I am glad to have seen a musical that has abandoned all cliché’s and taken its own path. It was a refreshing addition to the many musicals I have seen, and I don’t think I’ll forget the emotional affect it had on me for a very long time.


Photo Credit The Band's Visit https://www.reservedirect.com/detail/the-bands-visit-new-york

Comments

Popular Posts