Cows by Dawn O'porter

This summer I read a book that had a profound effect on me- Cows by Dawn O'Porter. It's by no means a new release, and its not a particularly groundbreaking idea either. However, the structure, plot and characters of this novel struck me to my core, and made me realise many small ways in which us cows can stop being one of the herd. 

The title is entirely metaphorical, linked only to the events of the book by a sort of prologue which defines cows as herd animals, and then links this to the use of the term for an outspoken, abhorrent, woman. The book itself then alternates between three perspectives- Cam, Tara and Stella. Three very different women who's lives intertwine in unlikely ways. But this doesn't turn into the book you think it will. Some of the women never even meet, but the way in which each of them lives their lives follows a very important story arc that brings every woman who's ever been offended back down off their high horse of historical oppression, and down to the good old twenty-first century.


I loved the book primarily because romance was on the back burner for the whole thing. It seems that TV today assumes all women are destined to be on their own as long as they choose to be a feminist (cue Orange is the New Black), meanwhile books are still stuck in the days of Jane Austen and The Bronte sisters. Its rare to find a narrative about women that strikes realistic balance between individuality and being defined by relationships. Cows does this perfectly; it accepts that the search for a soulmate is important to some women while not degrading the integrity of these women as individuals. Each of the women pulls each other into a place of happy medium as well, accepting that none of us our perfect from the outset. We have to learn a sense of individuality not because we are women who have been subordinated for centuries, but because we are humans struggling in a very scary world. Granted, Stella's character is a bit lost in fantasies of finding a Heathcliff to her Cathy, but that's okay, because when we are forced to read Wuthering Heights in year 11 its inevitable that some of us will become enamoured.

The comedy of the novel is spot on. It takes a lot to make me laugh out loud while reading, but Tara's parents made me laugh OUT LOUD, more than once. O'Porter has managed to get the sense of British prudishness and awkward parent-child relationships down to a T. I could see my Dad's own face while interactions between Tara and her Dad occurred, and even welled up when it got a bit soppy towards the end.

The only downfall I found was Stella's character. I felt that her narrative was taken too far (my commitment to no spoilers means that I can't elaborate), and I wanted to skip her chapters by the last few. I also didn't find the conclusion to her story as believable, but nonetheless I can appreciate the role of this narrative for O'Porter's intentions.

Now, despite appearances I don't think this is only a book for women to read. Yes its a bit girly, and often talks about experiences that only women can relate to, but if you don't connect with it ideologically then just read it for a good old laugh. Tara's unfortunate storyline had me howling, and Cam is just an absolute badass. But if you are a woman reading it, then go in with a totally open mind. It's an extremely frank novel which may offend at times, and raises issues that often get swept under the carpet. But by the end you'll wanting to hop off your seat and prove every person that's ever called you a slut, a cow or an idiot wrong. This book inspires us to own the terms that derogate us and never apologise for choosing not to follow the herd. Because lets be honest, the herd is fucking boring.

Comments

Popular Posts